If you are an international medical graduate and wish to apply for a medical residency in Canada, you must first make sure that you are eligible to do so.
As an IMG, to Be eligible to Participate in the Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS), you:
- Must attend or have graduated from a school listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools and
- Have written and passed the Medical Council of Canada Evaluation Exam (MCCEE).
- US Medical Examinations (USMLE) do not replace MCC;
- Have written and passed the SCC examination, which is also administered by the CMC, and can only be completed after the end of the MCCEE. The last time you can take the NAC is the same month of September that you want to play.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada. Visa holders are not eligible.
- Please note that the CAN assessment can only be done once the MCCEE has been adopted.
Further Requirements to Complete Your Medical Residency in Canada
The criteria mentioned above are the basic requirements for you to participate in CaRMS Twinning and are not necessarily the only criteria for applying for positions in the various provinces. At this link (http://www.carms.ca/en/residence/r-1/ eligibility criteria / provincial criteria /), you will find the Provincial Criteria section of the CaRMS website. The criteria listed in a given province in this section will apply to all programs in that province. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have read the information provided as part of the provincial restrictions to meet all the necessary requirements when applying for the programs of your choice.
To see the list of programs available for the R-1, please click here: http://www.carms.ca/en/residence/r-1/program-descriptions/ Each program is solely responsible for the application and the document. Each program will indicate which documents are required, which examinations must pass and which provincial assessments are preferred. You should also check the provincial criteria of the province where the program is located.