January 25, 2020
Selection Factors & Academic Criteria
Laurentian University / Lakehead University
The number of year one positions available for 2018/19 is 64 which includes a minimum of 2 designated positions available to Aboriginal students.
The 64 positions are allocated to two campuses: Lakehead University (28) and Laurentian University (36). Candidates who are invited for an interview will be asked to indicate their preferred campus. There is no guarantee that all students will be offered a seat at their preferred site.
Canadian citizens/permanent residents may apply.
Selection will favour those who are likely to thrive in the challenging northern and rural learning environments, including applicants from within Northern Ontario, rural and remote areas in the rest of Canada and Aboriginal and Francophone applicants.
The minimum requirement is a 4 year undergraduate university degree or equivalent in any discipline from a recognized Canadian university or equivalent. No preference is given to a particular discipline over another. The minimum acceptable grade point average is 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. The mean grade point average of successful applicants in 2017/18 was 3.8.
The MCAT is not required.
While there are no course requirements, the school values applicants who present evidence of a broad undergraduate education. Applicants with majors in science will be expected to have completed at least two full-course equivalents in arts, social sciences and/or humanities within their degree programs, while applicants pursuing majors in arts, social sciences and/or humanities will be expected to have completed at least two full-course equivalents in science within their degree program.
Laurentian University/Lakehead University
Northern Ontario School of Medicine
2018/19 New Admissions Into Year One: 64
36 to Laurentian Campus, 28 to Lakehead Campus
2018/19 First-Year Tuition:
- Canadian Residents: $25,830
- Québec Residents: $0 (Québec Schools Only)
- Visa Students: $0
- Compulsory Fees: $1,084
- Foreign Students: $0 (Above Quota Contract)
- Length Of Program : 4 years
- Language Of Instruction : English
- Testing of Language Proficiency : No
- Computer : Students may lease laptops from the school if they choose
- $25,830 – 1st year Tuition
- Compulsory Fees: Laurentian Campus $1,108.24 and Lakehead Campus $1,142.85.
- Aboriginal applicants may apply through the Aboriginal Admissions Stream; however, all minimum requirements must be met.
- Not considered (except under extenuating circumstances)
- Not considered due to the distributed nature of the curriculum, all NOSM students must complete all four years of the program.
- These take place in March and April, 2019. For the September, 2018 entering class there were 318 applicants interviewed.
Offers of Admission:
- Offers are emailed on the second Tuesday in May each year. A acceptance deposit of $1,000 must be received in order to secure the position. The deposit will be deducted from the tuition fee.
- Not available
- See OMSAS section.
Ace your MMI Interview!
Enroll with our MMI physician-led program and receive in-depth coaching sessions, mock interviews and more.
Packages start at $395