March 20, 2017
The number of year one positions available for 2019 will be 223. Among these positions, 214 are for the regular pool of Québec applicants (60% expected for college students and 40% for university students, which includes up to 8 positions filled with applicants to the PhD program and up to 8 positions filled with university applicants from the labour market). There is a possibility of 3 more positions as per the intergovernmental agreement with New-Brunswick, 1 position available for an applicant of foreign nationality who holds a study permit, 1 potential position for an applicant from another Canadian province or territory, 4 potential positions for applicants who are First Nations people or Inuit people (the quota to be allocated between the 4 Québec faculties of medicine) and 4 positions in the Medical Military Training Program (MMTP) (to be allocated between the 3 Francophone faculties of medicine in Québec) and a possibility of 2 positions for applicants who wish to pursue their postgraduate studies in the field of oral and maxillofacial surgery. Furthermore, as per the annual attrition rate, up to 3 positions could be offered to IMGs willing to start with clerkship.
College diploma or degree (Diplôme d’études collégiales or DÉC) or pre-university diploma equivalent to the 13 years of the Québec school system (or pre-university diploma or degree which corresponds to 12 years of study and one year of advanced studies) and academic training deemed satisfactory in sciences (mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology) is required.
College diploma or degree (Diplôme d’études collégiales or DEC) or pre-university diploma equivalent to the 13 years of the Québec school system (or pre-university diploma or degree which corresponds to 12 years of study and one year of advanced studies) and academic training deemed satisfactory in sciences (mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology) is required. The prerequisite courses at college level or equivalent are: 2 courses in biology (NYA and 401), 3 courses in chemistry (NYA, NYB and 202), 2 courses in mathematics (NYA and NYB) and 3 courses in phyiscs (NYA, NYB and NYC). The MCAT is not required.
- An applicant that holds a college diploma or the equivalent and whose academic record contains less than 12 credits taken into account to calculate the term average will be assessed on his/her college record;
- The applicant from the pool of Québec university students who solely attended Laval University must have achieved at least 45 university credits at Laval University at the time the application was made; only the university credits taken into account to calculate the Laval rating must be considered; the training activities associated with a non numeric value, training acquired as a free auditor, through micro-programs and graduate programs don’t fulfill this requirement;
- The applicant from the pool of Québec university students who did not attend Laval University must have achieved at least 75 university credits in a single training program at the time of application in order to be considered eligible;
- The applicant from the pool of Québec university students who attended both another university and Laval University must have achieved at the time of application a minimum of 75 university credits in a single training program or have achieved at least 45 university credits at Laval University that can be taken into account to calculate the Laval rating and must have achieved at Laval University the last university credits taken into account in the calcuation. The training activities associated with a non numeric value, training acquired as a free auditor, through micro-programs and graduate programs don’t fulfill this requirement.
Selection process: The first step of the selection process, the one that will determine which applicants will be summoned for the Multiple Mini-Interviews (MMI), is the analysis of the academic record (rating R*). The Multiple Mini-Interviews represent the second step of the process. The final selection is based upon the results obtained in the two steps of the selection process, in the following proportion:
- Academic record: 50%
- MMI: 50%
*The performance rating for the last applicant summoned for a MMI in 2018 was 34.935 for college students and 32.852 for university students.
Faculty Of Medicine
2018/19 New Admissions Into Year One: 223
This number could increase because of drop-outs in previous years.
2018/19 First-Year Tuition:
- Canadian Residents: $12,211
- Québec Residents: $3,929(Québec Schools Only)
- Visa Students: $32,664
- Compulsory Fees: $975
- Foreign Students: $32,664 (Above Quota Contract)
- Length Of Program : According to the path chosen: between 4 and 5 years
- Language Of Instruction : French
- Testing of Language Proficiency : Yes
- Computer : Personal not required
- Tuition Details: $217.79 per course
- Applies to applicants holding a diploma from a faculty of medicine outside Canada or the United States (IMG); to applicants from the pool of First Nations and Inuit students, to the applicants from the pool of the MMTP program students, to applicants to the PhD program, to academic applicants from the work force and to applicants from the pool of New Brunswick students and to applicants from the pool of oral and maxillofacial surgery students.
- Not authorized
- Not authorized
- Multiple Mini-Interviews (MMI) will take place on a Saturday and a Sunday at the end of April 2019. The applicants must show up in person at the date and in the place to which they will have been summoned without opportunity for change. The fees for the interview are currently $125.
Offers of Admission:
- Offers will be sent via email around mid-May 2019. No monetary deposit will be required to secure the position.
- None at admission
- Online and paper-based applications will be available starting on November 1st 2018 on the website ulaval.ca. The deadline for receipt of the applications is January 15, 2019 for university students and March 1st, 2019 for college students. Processing fees are $84.00.
Bureau de l’admission, Faculté de médecine, Université Laval, Pavillon Ferdinand-Vandry Local 2222, Québec QC G1V 0A6
Tel: 418-656-2131, ext. 2492
Adapted from AFMC 2017 Admissions Requirement- MedApplications (Parria Educational Services Inc.) takes no responsibility for the data published. It is the sole responsibility of each user to verify the published information with the official institutional resources.