January 25, 2020
Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine
The Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine at McMaster University is one of the 6 Ontario medical schools that you may qualify for after submitting your OMSAS application. If you would like to apply to this school, it’s important to get all the information beforehand and prepare your MCMaster University medical school application well. The school’s mission is to train students to become physicians who are capable of selecting any area of medicine. Applications are assessed with the help of faculty members, medical students and even members of the community.
The admission policy at McMaster school of medicine is reviewed annually so you need to check the requirements for the current year you would like to join. Application deadlines are strictly enforced so start filling your application early to avoid disqualification. If you are an international applicant, you can apply for the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine through the regular process.
The Admission and Registration Process
To be admitted to Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, you must fulfill the following academic requirements:
- Record all grades in all the credit courses taken in your undergraduate degree. Applications that do not have all the grades recorded will be disqualified.
- You must demonstrate a high academic achievement consistently throughout your undergraduate studies.
- Diploma holders must complete two additional years of degree credit work at an accredited university.
- Meet the overall GPA requirement of 3.0 on the OMSAS 4.0 scale. Having a significantly higher GPA will give you a higher chance of admission given the high level of competition for limited positions available at Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine.
- Provide MCAT test results provided the test was not taken more than 5 years to the application deadline. For students who took the MCAT test more than once, the most recent test results will be used.
- Successful completion of CASPer Test
Considerations as an Indigenous Applicant
If you wish to be admitted to Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine as an indigenous applicant, you must provide a letter that declares your indigenous ancestry providing details on your academic and personal background. You must also provide a letter of recommendation from an organization, tribal council or Treaty and proof of indigenous ancestry such as a treaty card, Métis Membership card, Nunavut Trust Service card or Inuit Roll Number.
You must provide all transcripts for postsecondary courses/programs attended in your McMaster OMSAS application. Only transcripts that are sent directly to OMSAS to the postsecondary institution will be accepted. Foreign transcripts from outside Canada or the US must be sent to World Education Services (WES) after which they will be sent to OMSAS in order to be considered in your application. It is your responsibility to ensure that OMSAS receives all the transcripts before your application is submitted to the university in order to avoid disqualification.
Students who meet the academic eligibility requirements, follow the application procedures and transcript requirements will be invited for interviews after which a class of 203 will be selected. Students can choose between 3 campuses Waterloo Regional Campus, Niagara Regional Campus and Hamilton Campus.
Ace your MMI Interview!
Prepare with leading MMI advisors in Canada and the United States for MD, Vet, Dentistry and more. Get matched to an advisor specializing in your specialty. High yield MMI cases, Mock Interviews, Live simulations. Prepare Today!
Programming starts at $395