January 25, 2020
Mature Entry Medicine & Non-Traditional Medical School Applicants
Mature Entry Medicine: Pursuing medicine as a non-traditional medical school applicant is an exciting yet challenging prospect. There are several common profiles of aspiring physicians that fit into this category. Fortunately, there is a growing trend amongst medical schools to ensure that a certain proportion of spots, per medical school class, are reserved for mature medical school applicants. For e.g. the McGill Non-Traditional Medical School Pathway is specifically designed to capture the diversity of experiences and skillsets that Non-Traditional applicants possess that aren’t only captured in one’s GPA and MCAT score.
Mature Entry Medicine: Common Scenarios
Non-Traditional Medical School Applicants
Here are a few common scenarios for a non-traditional medical school applicant (mature entry medicine):
- Professional is a Science field (e.g. Nursing, Engineering, Computer Science, Pharmacy) interested in changing career paths and applying to medicine as a non-traditional applicant.
- Professional in an unrelated field (e.g. teaching, business, law) interested in changing career paths and applying to medicine as a non-traditional applicant.
- A mature student (e.g. 20-30 years out of undergraduate) in a Healthcare Career (e.g. public health, medical administration, medical research) interested in pursuing medicine as a non-traditional applicant.
- Many other potential career tracks are also seen.
Unlike most applicants to medicine, as a non-traditional applicant to medical school, you have the luxury of a wealth of experiences and skills you have accumulated over time. For most applicants, their resume is the most significant part of their application.
Mature Student vs Non-Traditional Medical School Applicant
Here are a few common pitfalls for a non-traditional medical school applicant:
- Demonstrating an interest in medicine?
- Portability to pursue medical studies
- Overcoming GPA scores from 10-20 years ago
- Writing the MCAT
- Securing pre-requisite courses
- Why Now?
At MedApplications, our professional medical coaches work with you to rebrand your image and ensure that you appear favorably to a medical school admissions panel. We dissect your CV/Resume, Experiences, Academic performance as if you were applying to medical school today.
When applying to medical school there is an important distinction between “mature” and “Non-traditional” pre-medical applicants. Mature often refers to the age of an applicant, where Non-Traditional refers to their prior background experiences, and chosen selected original career path.
Ace your NAC OSCE!
Enroll with our leading NAC OSCE programming led by experienced Canadian doctors. As of now we full expect the NAC OSCE to occur in September 2020. WE will closely follow any updates from the Medical Council of Canada
Programming starts at $395