January 25, 2020
UofA Medical School Selection Factors & Academic Criteria
University of Alberta Medical School
University of Alberta Medical School & U of A Medicine: The number of year one positions available for 2018/19 was 162 which included 5 positions available to Aboriginal applicants and 10 positions available to rural applicants. At least eighty-five percent of year one positions were filled by residents of Alberta.
Canadian citizens/permanent residents may apply.
Selection for admission is based on cumulative grade point average (CGPA), Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), personal activities, reference letters, and interview.
At least two years of full-time post-secondary education in a degree program is required.
The minimum acceptable CGPA on a 4.0 scale is 3.3 for Alberta residents and 3.5 for non-Alberta residents. The mean CGPA of successful applicants in 2017/18 was 3.81.
The new MCAT2015 exam is required. The minimum acceptable MCAT2015 score for Alberta residents is 124 in each of the four categories: Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems; Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills; Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems; Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior. The minimum MCAT2015 score for non-Alberta residents is 128 in Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills; and 124 in each of the remaining three categories: Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems; Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems; Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior.
University Of Alberta
Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
- 2018/18 New Admissions Into Year One: 162
- 2018/19 First-Year Tuition:
- Canadian Residents: $12,044
- Québec Residents: $0 (Québec Schools Only)
- Visa Students: $0
- Compulsory Fees: $951
- Foreign Students: $0 (Above Quota Contract)
- Length Of Program : 4 years
- Language Of Instruction : English
- Testing of Language Proficiency : Yes
- Computer : Personal
- Not considered
- Requests reviewed
- Not considered
- Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI) take place on March 16-17, 2019. For September 2016 entering class, there were 450 Alberta residents interviewed and 76 nonAlberta residents interviewed for a total of 526 applicants interviewed.
Offers of Admission:
- Applicants invited for an interview will be notified of their admission decision in May 2019. A $1,000 non-refundable acceptance deposit is required. The deposit will be applied toward tuition.
- MD/MBA, MD/Ph.D., MD (with Special Training in Research)
- An electronic application process is available on July 3, 2018. The deadline for submitting the application is October 1, 2019. The application fee is $130 for current and former University of Alberta undergraduates and $180 for students new to the University of Alberta. Applicants first complete the University of Alberta general undergraduate application followed by a secondary medicine application.
UofA Medical School Contact Information:
Admissions Office, Undergraduate Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, University of Alberta,
1-002 Katz Group Centre for Pharmacy and Health Research,
Edmonton AB T6G 2E1
Tel: 780-492-6769 or 492-9524 or 492-9525
Adapted from AFMC 2017 Admissions Requirement- MedApplications (Parria Educational Services Inc.) takes no responsibility for the data published. It is the sole responsibility of each user to verify the published information with the official institutional resources.
Ace your MMI Interview!
Enroll with our MMI physician-led program and receive in-depth coaching sessions, mock interviews and more.
Packages start at $395