Selection Factors & Academic Criteria
University Of British Columbia
The number of year one positions available for 2016/17 is 288 which includes up to 14 positions available to Aboriginal applicants and up to 5 positions available to applicants to the MD/PhD program. A maximum of 29 positions will be available to out-of-province residents.
Canadian citizens/permanent residents may apply.
Three years full-time university/college is required.
The minimum acceptable average for in province applicants is 75% on a 100% scale. The minimum average for out-of-province applicants is 85% (visit the website for up-to-date information on minimum academic standing).
The MCAT is required (please visit the website for information on MCAT eligibility).
Six credits of English are the only required prerequisites. Taking courses in biology, biochemistry, chemistry and organic chemistry are strongly encouraged.
- Considered, but only granted in exceptional circumstances.
- Rarely granted. Considered only after completion of two years of medical studies in Canada or the United States in a school that is accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools and the Liaison Committee.
- These take place in early-mid February, 2016. For the September, 2016 entering class there were 575 British Columbia residents interviewed and 81 other residents of Canada interviewed for a total of 656 applicants interviewed.
Offers of Admission:
- Offers are mailed mid-May, 2017. A $1,000 non-refundable acceptance deposit is required.
- An electronic application process is available in early June, 2016. The deadline for receipt of the application is September 15, 2016 (interviewed applicants who are required to submit supplementary information must do so by mid-February 2017). The application fees are $117.50 for residents of British Columbia with BC transcripts only; $151.00 for residents of British Columbia with any out-of-province transcripts; and $173.75 for residents outside British Columbia.
MD Undergraduate Admissions, Faculty of Medicine, Dean’s Office,
University of British Columbia, 317-2194 Health Sciences Mall,
Vancouver BC V6T 1Z3
E-Mail: [email protected]
Adapted from AFMC 2017 Admissions Requirement- MedApplications (Parria Educational Services Inc.) takes no responsibility for the data published. It is the sole responsibility of each user to verify the published information with the official institutional resources.