January 25, 2020
Selection Factors & Academic Criteria
University Of British Columbia
The number of year one positions available for 2018/19 is 288 which includes up to 14 positions available to Aboriginal applicants and up to 5 positions available to applicants to the MD/PhD program. A maximum of 29 positions will be available to out-of-province residents.
The 288 positions are allocated to four campuses: 192 at the Vancouver Fraser Medical Program; 32 at the Island Medical Program (in Victoria); 32 at the Northern Medical Program (in Prince George); 32 at the Southern Medical Program (in Kelowna). All positions are filled based on the same selection criteria, however, a Rural/Remote Suitability tool is also used to assign students to the Northern Medical Program and up to 10 seats at the Southern Medical Program.
Canadian citizens/permanent residents may apply.
A minimum of 90 university transferable credits by time of entry is required.
Three years full-time university/college is required.
The minimum acceptable average for in province applicants is 75% on a 100% scale. The minimum average for out-of-province applicants is 85% (visit the website for up-to-date information on minimum academic standing).
The MCAT is required (please visit the website for information on MCAT eligibility).
Six credits of English are the only required prerequisites. Taking courses in biology, biochemistry, chemistry and organic chemistry are strongly encouraged.
University Of British Columbia
Faculty of Medicine
- 2018/19 New Admissions Into Year One: 288
- 2018/19 First-Year Tuition:
- Canadian Residents: $18,110
- Québec Residents: $0 (Québec Schools Only)
- Visa Students: $0
- Compulsory Fees: $854
- Foreign Students: $0 (Above Quota Contract)
The CaRMS Match Options Include:
- Length Of Program : 4 years
- Language Of Instruction : English
- Testing of Language Proficiency : No
- Computer : Personal required
- Other compulsory fees for first-year were:
- Vancouver Fraser Medical Program = $1003.00
- Island Medical Program = $0.00
- Northern Medical Program = $0.00
- Southern Medical Program = $0.00
- Considered, but only granted in exceptional circumstances.
- Rarely granted. Considered only after completion of two years of medical studies in Canada or the United States in a school that is accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools and the Liaison Committee.
- These take place in early-mid February. For the September, 2018 entering class there were 574 British Columbia residents interviewed and 81 other residents of Canada interviewed for a total of 655 applicants invited to interview.
Offers of Admission:
- Offers are mailed mid-May, 2019. A $1,000 non-refundable acceptance deposit is required.
- An electronic application process is available in early June, 2018. The deadline for receipt of the application is September 14, 2018 (interviewed applicants are required to submit supplementary information which is due by mid-February 2019). The application fees are $122.00 for residents of British Columbia with BC transcripts only; $156.50 for residents of British Columbia with any out-of-province transcripts; and $180.00 for residents of other provinces than BC.
MD Undergraduate Admissions, Faculty of Medicine, Dean’s Office,
University of British Columbia, 317-2194 Health Sciences Mall,
Vancouver BC V6T 1Z3
Adapted from AFMC 2017 Admissions Requirement- MedApplications takes no responsibility for the data published. It is the sole responsibility of each user to verify the published information with the official institutional resources.
Ace your NAC OSCE!
Enroll with our leading NAC OSCE programming led by experienced Canadian doctors. As of now we full expect the NAC OSCE to occur in September 2020. WE will closely follow any updates from the Medical Council of Canada
Programming starts at $395