January 25, 2020
4 Reasons Why the University of Calgary Medical School Is Right for You
Here you can find out more about the University Of Calgary Medical School Admission Requirements and University of Calgary acceptance rate.
Finding the right medical school is a real challenge for aspiring doctors. Medical school applications are long, acceptance rates are low, and choosing the right school is a stressful decision.
Are you interested in attending medical school at one of Canada’s smaller more intimate schools? Then the University of Calgary medical school may be the right choice for you. Attending U of C medicine lets you benefit from living in a larger city without the downsides of living in a massive city like Toronto or Vancouver.
The Cumming School of Medicine is part of the University of Calgary. Calgary is one of Canada’s mid-sized larger cities, and it’s surrounded by the gorgeous rocky mountains. UCalgary medicine offers a balance between city life and rural living, which may seem attractive to some applicants.
The Cumming School of Medicine was founded in 1967 and is a leading research-driven institution. It offers a three-year MD program as opposed to the four-year programs offered at other schools.
Its admission requirements aren’t as demanding as other schools either, and tuition is often more affordable.
UCalgary medicine does this by including the pre-clerkship program year-round and shortening summer breaks between academic years. This way, students can attain a comprehensive medical education in less time than in other institutions.
The University of Calgary Medical School is an often overlooked option due to its location, however, it provides an attractive alternative for those looking to enter the field sooner.
University of Calgary Medical School Admission Requirements and Information
Do you meet the admissions requirement for U of C medicine? We’ve compiled everything you need to know when it comes to admission requirements.
- Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status. UCalgary is a provincial university and its primary obligations are to Alberta residents. No international students are admitted unless through specific programs by universities with ties to U of Calgary. The school primarily accepts students from Alberta, with only 15% of applicants coming from out-of-province.
- A minimum of two full-time years of a bachelor’s degree must be completed before applying. A minimum GPA calculated from your two best years of study that is above 3.2 for Alberta residents, or above 3.8 for out-of-province applicants.
- MCAT. Not required for Alberta residents who have met the GPA requirement; minimum of 127 on the CARS section for out-of-province applicants.
- Letters of reference. Three letters of reference are required.
- Interviews. Some applicants are invited to a short round of interviews to assess the applicant on non-academic criteria, such as emotional maturity, collaborative values, insight, and leadership skills.
- The first-year class size was 144 in the 2017/18 academic year. The Cumming School of Medicine has a significantly smaller class size than larger universities like the University of Toronto.
- 17% average acceptance rate. The Cumming Medical School has a much higher acceptance rate than more competitive schools like the University of Toronto or Western University.
- Tuition. $15,012.18 plus general fees.
UCalgary Medical School is a very attractive option for potential students offering:
- a higher acceptance rate, especially for Albertans
- a program is one year shorter than most, and
- more affordable tuition than other popular medical schools.
If you live in Alberta or are an out of province student with a stellar academic record, the Cumming School of Medicine should be on your radar.
4 Reasons to Study at the University of Calgary Medicine
So, why should you choose U of C medical school over other options out there? Calgary is an attractive city to live in for a variety of reasons. Here are a few of the reasons why we believe you should consider uCalgary medicine.
1. It’s a Research School
UCalgary Medical School is a research-heavy institution with connections to research networks and hospitals both locally and nationally. You will have opportunities to conduct research to enrich your academic life and help advance medicine.
This makes this an attractive school if you’re interested in working in medical research versus active care.
2. Calgary Offers Something for Everyone
The City of Calgary is rich in a unique culture, a combination of rustic living, eco-friendly values and an entrepreneurial spirit. Renowned for many things including its natural beauty and world-famous Calgary Stampede, there is always something to see in the city.
Calgary offers a solid mix of shopping, outdoor activities and large arts and entertainment festivals. The Rocky Mountains are an hour’s drive – and Edmonton is just three hours away. Plus, Calgary is the sunniest city in Canada with an average of 333 days of sunlight annually.
3. The Calgary Stampede
The self-proclaimed “Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth” has been attracting millions of visitors for decades. It includes a stampede, market, parade, exhibition, and thousands of other activities. This event takes place every year in July and lasts for ten days.
If you’re not too busy with your classes at the Cumming School of Medicine, you can catch the Calgary Parade. It features over 200 horses and dozens of marching bands and floats. This event is deeply rooted in Albertan culture and is a must-see for anyone interested.
Are you looking for something a little more exciting? World-class horse races, derbies, and rodeos take place over the course of the event too. Hundreds of the best racers compete in one of the largest events of its kind on Earth.
4. The Natural Beauty Is Out of This World
Are you more of an outdoorsy person? Calgary has you covered on that too. The city is conveniently located near some of Canada’s best national parks.
Banff National Park of Canada – about an hour away — is a world-famous national park that offers amazing hiking, scenery, and is a great place to recharge when you’re feeling stressed from school. You can even take a short drive down to the iconic Lake Louise.
Other parks located near Calgary include Jasper National Park of Canada, Mt. Robson Provincial Park, and the Glacier National Park (in Idaho, USA).
If you love nature, then studying at the Cumming School of Medicine is one of Canada’s most beautiful provinces is definitely worth considering.
Find out how you can increase your chances of getting into the University of Calgary Medical School.Learn More
Get Accepted to U of C Medicine With Our Help
Are you interested in attending the Cumming School of Medicine? MedApplication’s team of doctors and medical professionals can help you with the application process and more. We have decades of experience working with young students to help them realize their dreams.
The UCalgary Medical School is an excellent choice for prospective students looking for an alternative to other institutions. Its 3-year program lets students enter the workforce earlier, and practice what they love.
The research centered environment provides students with opportunities to develop their medical expertise while studying. Its affiliation with hospitals and medical networks positions UCalgary medicine competitively with other Canadian medical schools.
Students will have the opportunity of living in Calgary and experiencing its unique flavor of Canadian life. They will also have access to some of Canada’s most iconic national parks, the Calgary Stampede, and more.
The Cumming Medical School should be a top contender when choosing your future in medicine. UCalgary medicine and Alberta have a great deal to offer to your career and personal life.
Ace your NAC OSCE!
Enroll with our leading NAC OSCE programming led by experienced Canadian doctors. As of now we full expect the NAC OSCE to occur in September 2020. WE will closely follow any updates from the Medical Council of Canada
Programming starts at $395