January 25, 2020
Your Guide to University of Saskatchewan Medical School Admissions
The College of Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan was the first and remains the only medical school in the province of Saskatchewan. Located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan’s largest city, it serves the educational, research, and clinical needs of the province.
Established in 1926, USask Medicine prides itself on serving the people of Saskatchewan by producing outstanding graduates and impactful research, both of which improve the lives of patients everywhere.
USask Medicine’s four-year MD program offers 100 select students the opportunity to study medicine in Canada’s prairies, gaining unique insight into rural medicine. As the only medical school in the province, USask Medicine conducts research with all of its affiliated provincial hospital networks.
A Strong Research School
With more than 300 research-active faculty members and $28.7 million awarded for research in the 2018/19 year, USask Medicine is a highly active research school with many exciting and diverse opportunities for students.
Grants are given to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to study abroad and attend conferences to gain invaluable, international medical knowledge and experience. USask also offers an innovative parental leave grant, which allows parents to take a paid leave from school to take care of a new-born child.
USask Medicine offers generous grants for College of Medicine students to pursue research during their summer breaks. The University of Saskatchewan Medical School also offers students a plethora of interdisciplinary opportunities to expand their horizons beyond their focus of study.
USask Medicine cares about its students and provides them with ample opportunity to become the best clinicians or researchers they can be. Its unique place in Canada’s prairies gives students unique opportunities in rural medical practice.
University of Saskatchewan Medical School Admission Requirements
Here’s a breakdown of each requirement for admission to the MD program at the University of Saskatchewan College of Medicine:
- Canadian citizenship or permanent residency required. USask Medicine does not accept international students. Permanent residency or citizenship must be attained prior to the October 1 application deadline.
- A four-year bachelor’s degree must be attained. Students must possess a completed bachelor’s degree before April 30 of the year they wish to attend medical school. Applicants may apply in the final year of their bachelor’s degree, or after graduating. The degree can be in any subject; no prerequisite courses are required.
- Achieve the minimum grade requirement in your degree. USask Medicine converts GPA into a grade out of 100%. Saskatchewan residents must meet the 75% cutoff in order to be considered. Out-of-province applicants must meet the 85% cutoff for consideration.
- Complete the MCAT prior to applying. Applicants must complete the Medical College Admission Test prior to October 1 of the year of application. Saskatchewan residents must score in the 24th percentile for consideration, while out-of-province applicants must score in the 90th percentile on the MCAT, and 99% in the CARS section.
- Attend the Multiple Mini-Interview (MMI). If students meet the academic criteria, they are invited for the interview, which is the last step of the admission process. Applicants are assessed by several interviewers on their personalities, motivations, and their professional accomplishments.
- Complete miscellaneous requirements. If offered admission, students must provide recent immunization records alongside a criminal background check.
The GPA requirements for U of S Medicine are less strict than some of the more popular medical schools in Ontario. However, like most medical schools, the University of Saskatchewan prioritizes students from the province itself.
University of Saskatchewan Medical School Admission Rate and Statistics
USask Medicine is a provincial school that serves as the sole medical school of the province. As a result, the U of S Medicine primarily accepts Saskatchewan residents. 95 of the 100 students admitted yearly are Saskatchewan residents, and only five seats are reserved for out-of-province applicants.
The average acceptance rate of the U of S College of Medicine was 13.9% in the 2017/18 academic year. For Saskatchewan residents, an average of 32.8% were admitted, but only 7% of out-of-province students were accepted.
Tuition and Residency Requirements for U of S Medicine
The tuition for the 2018/19 school year is $17,474, which is less than most Ontario medical schools. Tuition remains the same regardless of the applicant’s province of residence.
To be considered a Saskatchewan resident, the applicant must have lived in Saskatchewan for three years immediately preceding the year to which the applicant is applying.
Residents of Yukon, Northwest, and Nunavut territories are also considered under the same criteria as Saskatchewan residents. Those residing in these territories apply for the same 95 reserved seats that Saskatchewan residents apply to.
Ten seats are reserved for indigenous applicants who identify as First Nations, Metis, and Inuit through the Indigenous Admissions Program. These seats are included in the 95 allocated Saskatchewan resident positions.
Six seats are reserved for applicants who have a family income under $80,000 per year. Under the Diversity and Social Accountability Admissions Program, students from low-income homes are given a second chance at pursuing their dreams in medicine.
5 Reasons to Choose the University of Saskatchewan College of Medicine
While the University of Saskatchewan Medical School may lack the allure of Ontario Medical schools—there are still many reasons why this is a viable option for Canadian med school students. Here are five reasons why we think U of S medicine is a great option:
- Diverse career opportunities USask Medicine graduates are offered residency placements in a large variety of medical specializations. Students can pick from family medicine, anesthesiology, general surgery, internal medicine, neurology, psychiatry, respiratory medicine, and many other fields.
- The only medical school in Saskatchewan. By attending USask Medicine, students have the exciting opportunity of serving the entire province’s medical needs. During their studies, students have clinical and research opportunities in USask Medicine’s provincial hospital networks. After graduation, students easily find residency positions in the many hospitals and rural clinics of Canada’s prairie region.
- Certificate in global health. MD students who are interested in conducting humanitarian work in under-served communities across the globe can attain their certificate at USask Medicine. The certificate in global health is the only program of its kind offered in Canada.
- State-of-the-art Health Sciences Facility. The U of S College of Medicine’s facility enables students of all disciplines to collaborate and exchange knowledge effectively. This environment of learning is conducive to interdisciplinary collaboration and research.
- Live in the beautiful city of Saskatoon. Known as the City of Bridges, Saskatoon is located on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River and offers residents many locations for outdoor activity. With a population of 273,010, Saskatoon offers a feeling of community that larger cities do not. USask is located right in the heart of the city, allowing students to take public transit almost anywhere.
The University of Saskatchewan College of Medicine is a suitable choice for students that are looking to attend a medical school in a smaller city. Living in one of the Prairie provinces will provide you with a unique and unforgettable experience—and you can’t put a price on that.
Westward bound for your Med Studies? Apply to U of S Medicine
Are you from out of province and looking to apply to Saskatchewan Medical School? You can trust the team at MedApplications to help you create a strong application.
Our team of doctors, medical professionals, and admissions experts know exactly what the University of Saskatchewan Medical School looks for in applicants.
Get in touch with our team today to improve your chances of getting into U of S medicine.
Ace your MMI Interview!
Enroll with our MMI physician-led program and receive in-depth coaching sessions, mock interviews and more.
Packages start at $395