January 25, 2020
Why the University of Toronto Medical School Should Be On Your Radar
U of T Medical School: Are you looking to apply to the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine? We can help you create a winning application.
Who doesn’t dream of completing their medical school degree at the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine? Not only does U of T medical school provide you with a degree from a prestigious institution, but it allows you to live that coveted Toronto lifestyle.
That’s something with which many other Canadian cities cannot compete. But getting into the University of Toronto medicine isn’t always easy.
University of Toronto Requirements: The University of Toronto is a competitive school, the admission requirements are strict, and many of the brightest minds in the world apply to it each year. Stiff competition indeed!
Your application to the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine will need to stand out if you want to increase your chances of getting accepted. But before you can do that, you’ll need to know what the University of Toronto medical school requirements are.
About the University of Toronto Medical School
The University of Toronto is often referred to as U of T by the students that attend it. It’s one of the most prestigious universities in Canada, on par with top schools like McGill University and Queens University.
U of T was founded nearly 200 years ago in 1827 through a royal charter. It is the oldest university in Ontario.
Today—it’s home to more than 60,000 undergraduates and 14,000 post-graduates—across three campuses: St. George, Scarborough, and Mississauga.
Students can study virtually any degree at U of T, and the school is home to the Rotman School of Management, the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering, and many more graduate programs.
But as an aspiring doctor, you’re here to learn about the University of Toronto medical school requirements.
What Are the University of Toronto Medical School Requirements?
The motto for U of T medical school is: “We prepare future health leaders, contribute to our communities, and improve the health of individuals and populations through the discovery, application, and communication of knowledge.”
What Are the Minimum Requirements for the University of Toronto Medicine?
- Four-year program. Programs are broken up into four years. The academic requirements include pre-clinical, clerkship, and electives.
- Three-years of full-time study required. Applicants will need three years of full-time study, two FCEs in life sciences, one in social science, language, or humanities.
- Low acceptance rate. University of Toronto medicine has an acceptance rate of 8.3%. 86% of accepted applicants are from Ontario, 12% from out of province, and 4% are international.
- High GPA and MCAT requirements. The average GPA of an applicant is 3.95, and the recommended MCAT minimum is 125 per section.
- High tuition rates. Canadian residents should expect to pay $25,660 per year, while that total is $78,760 for international students.
- Compulsory fees. Domestic students must pay a compulsory fee of $1,751.90 and international students $2,364.
- No transfers. U of T medicine does not accept transfers.
- Mandatory interview. All applicants must take part in an interview that takes place between February and April.
Keep in mind that you will incur additional living expenses living in Toronto that may not be comparable to other Canadian cities. We recommend that you take this into consideration when applying as the cost of living in Toronto is substantially higher.
Another thing to consider is the application process itself. Every student located in Ontario must use the Ontario Medical School Application Service (OMSAS). We recommend you familiarize yourself with this platform to ensure that your application is submitted properly and on time.
Are you still interested in attending arguably the best medical school in Canada? Then read on.
5 Reasons Why the University of Toronto Medical Is Right for You
There are many reasons why you should want to live in Toronto beyond its prestigious medical school. The city offers a diverse cultural experience, some of the best shopping in Canada, iconic landmarks, and so much more. And professionally? You can’t beat the professional opportunities that exist in Toronto.
Here are just a few of the reasons why we think U of T medical school is the right choice.
1. Access to Over 40 Hospitals
As an aspiring doctor, you have a lot of options available to you in Toronto. By attending the University of Toronto medical school, you open yourself up to a network of over 40 hospitals. Many of these hospitals are world-class facilities and can provide you with ample professional opportunities.
Whether you want to run your own practice or work in a hospital, you will have more than enough options to choose from. This makes it even easier for you to specialize in a certain discipline.
2. Strong Private and Public Sector
Toronto is a large city with a population of over 2.93 million in the city alone. Add to that the nearly 6 million people in the GTA—and it’s no wonder why many consider this the center of the country.
Toronto boasts a strong private and public sector. Doctors living in Toronto can start their own practices, work for private corporations, serve in a research role, teach, or provide patient care services in the public sector.
There is no shortage of options for U of T medical school students to choose from. Students can network with industry professionals, learn useful skills, and immediately transition into the workforce after graduating.
3. Higher Paying Positions
The high cost of living in Toronto means that most doctors and medical professionals will earn more than in other cities in the country.
This is especially true if you work in the private sector, where you can earn even more.
Get Matched with MedApplications
Packages start at $345
- MD Application Strategy (120 Minutes)
- ABS Strategy Session (60 Minutes)
- MD School Selection/Competitiveness (60 Minutes)
- ABS and Application Edit/Review
- Reference Letter Review (60 Minutes)
- Unlimited Canadian MD Schools
- Unlimited Revisions
- CASPer Preparation (90 Minutes)
- Unlimited CASPer Tests
- Interview Preparation (MPI, MMI, Panel)
- Unlimited Interview Webinars
- Unlimited Mock Interviews*
- Unlimited Webinars, Ebooks and Resources
4. Culture, Landmarks, and More
Toronto is home to virtually every major league sports team you can think of, including the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, Toronto Blue Jays, Toronto Argonauts, Toronto FC, and other smaller teams.
The city is also home to the CN Tower, St. Lawrence Market, the Rogers Center, Toronto Center Island, Kensington Market, Bloor Street West shopping, Casa Loma, the Scarborough Bluffs, the Royal Ontario Museum, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, and so much more.
You could spend years living in Toronto and still find new things to discover.
Are you a fan of movies? The Toronto International Film Festival is one of the largest film festivals in the world and takes place in Toronto every September.
Music lovers don’t have to worry either. Every major performer always schedules a stop in Toronto when touring through Canada. Getting tickets to your favorite performances is easy.
5. Located Near Other Major Cities
One of the main advantages of attending the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine is the geographic location of Toronto.
The city is situated relatively close to Ottawa, Montreal, Kingston, Hamilton, Barrie, and the border to the United States.
Pearson International Airport also makes it easy for you to travel anywhere in the world. All major airlines offer flights from YYZ.
Ready to Improve Your Application to the University of Toronto Medical School?
Getting into the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine requires a strong application. MedApplications team of professional doctors and medical experts have the necessary expertise to help you create an application that will impress the U of T medical school admission’s department.
We can help you prepare your application, practice for your interview, and provide you with useful insights into what the top medical schools are looking for in applicants.
For More Detailed Information: Enrolment Services, Undergraduate Medical Education, University of Toronto,
University Of Toronto
Faculty Of Medicine
2017/18 New Admissions Into Year One:
259 International students supernumerary
2018/19 First-Year Tuition:
- Canadian Residents: $25,660
- Québec Residents: $25,660 (Québec Schools Only)
- Visa Students: $78,760
- Compulsory Fees: $1,749
- Foreign Students: $0 (Above Quota Contract)
- Length Of Program : 4 years
- Language Of Instruction : English
- Testing of Language Proficiency : No
- Computer : Refer to our “Technology Requirements for Incoming Students” page
- Domestic – $25,660.00 / International – $78,760.00
Compulsory Fees: Domestic – $1,751.90 / International – $2,364.00
(Note: all fees are subject to change pending the Governing Council’s review in spring 2019)
Ace your MMI Interview!
Enroll with our MMI physician-led program and receive in-depth coaching sessions, mock interviews and more.
Packages start at $395