July 6, 2018
Quebec Francophone Universities and Colleges
There are 17 universities and over 70 colleges in Quebec. However, there are only three anglophone schools. The rest all give instruction in French. Students who opt to enroll in colleges can obtain a variety of two-year degrees. They may proceed to studying for a bachelor’s degree that may be completed in three years.
Université de Montréal
Université de Montréal is a francophone institution located in Montreal. This public research university was established in 1878. At present, it offers over 650 undergraduate and graduate programs along with 71 doctoral level programs. The university has an estimated 55,540 students. Over 41,050 are enrolled in undergraduate programs, and 14,485 are in post-grad programs. Université de Montréal is the second largest Canadian university based on student enrolment.
Université de Montréal has three coordinated regional campuses. This includes the Terrebonne Campus, Laval Campus and Longueuil Campus. Potential students may take advantage of the financial assistance offered. The university has 16 faculties and departments that include the following.
- School of Optometry
- School of Public Health
- Department of Kinesiology
- Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Music
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- Faculty of Continuing Education
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences
- Faculty of Environmental Design
Université du Québec à Montréal
UQAM is Université du Québec’s is a comprehensive public university that was established in 1968. UQAM has an estimated student enrolment of 41,670. About 33,100 students attend undergraduate programs, and in 6,570 study in post-grad programs. In addition to its on-campus programs, UQAM also offers distance and online learning through its component Teluq.
UQAM offers training and other programs through its four regional campuses called the UQAM Montérégie, UQAM Laval, UQAM Lanaudière and UQAM Ouest-de-l’île. At present, the university has six faculties and schools that are divided into 40 departments. This includes the following.
- School of Management
- Faculty of Communication
- Faculty of Political Science and Law
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Humanities
- Graduate School of Montreal Fashion
Université Laval is the fourth oldest centre of education in North America and the first to be established in the country. In addition, Université Laval is a top-ranking Canadian university when it comes to research funding. Its programs attract both domestic and foreign students. There are about 37,800 students enrolled in the university. Approximately 27,530 attend undergraduate program, and 10,270 are graduate students.
Université Laval offers more than 350 programs. This includes a forestry engineering program that is unique in Quebec. Prospective students may go for either on-campus or distance learning programs. Faculties and schools at Université Laval include the following.
- Administrative Sciences
- Science and Engineering
- Agriculture and Food Sciences
- Architecture, Urban Planning and Visual Arts
- Forestry and Geomatics
- Social Sciences
- Postgraduate Studies
Université de Sherbrooke
Université de Sherbrooke is one of the two francophone universities located in the Estrie region of Quebec. It was established in 1954 in Sherbrooke and Longueuil. The university has about 35,000 students enrolled in its 46 undergraduate, 48 masters and 27 doctoral programs. These programs are offered in the Main Sherbrooke Campus, Sherbrooke Health Campus, Longueuil Campus, Join Campus in Saguenay and the Joint Campus in Moncton. Université de Sherbrooke faculties include the following.
- Letters and Humanities
- Medicine and Health Sciences
- Sports and Physical Education
- Theology, Ethics and Philosophy
HEC Montreal is the oldest Canadian management school that is affiliated with the Universite de Montreal. It offers programs and training including a Bachelor’s of Business Administration, MBA, M.Sc and Ph.D in Administration. HEC Montreal is comprised of the following academic departments.
- Accounting Studies
- Human Resources Management
- Information Technologies
- International Business
- Management Sciences
- Logistics and Operations Management
Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
UQTR was founded in 1969 in Trois-Rivières, Quebec. About 12,500 students are enrolled in the school’s eight different campuses. About 1,000 international students at the school come from 60 different countries. The programs offered at UTQR include the following.
- Medical School
- Podiatric Medicine
Collège Montmorency was established in 1969 in Laval. It offers 5 two-year pre-university and 21 three-year technical programs. It also has internship programs for international students. The following programs are offered at Collège Montmorency.
- Pre-university Programs for Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Arts and Letters, Dance and Visual Arts
- Technical Training Programs for Organic Techniques, Food Technology, Architectural Technology, Technical Fire Safety and Administration Techniques
Collège Ahuntsic is a general and vocational college established in 1967. It offers the following programs.
- Pre-University Programs for Science, Social Science and Arts and Letters
- Technical and Career Programs for Health, Physics, Administration, Human and Graphic Communication
- Work-Study Programs
- CEGEP-University Bridge Programs
- Vocation-CEGEP Bridge Programs
Cégep André-Laurendeau is a technical and pre-university college located in Montreal. It has about 2,000 students enrolled in its two-year pre-university and three-year technical programs.
Collège d’Alma is a public educational institution that offers pre-university and technical programs. The college was established in 1967 and became autonomous in 1980. It has approximately 1,200 enrolled students.
Cégep de Baie-Comeau
Cégep de Baie-Comeau is affiliated with ACCC. It is a pre-university and technical college founded in 1967. It offers the following programs.
- Pre-University Programs for Natural Sciences, Humanities and Arts
- Technical Training Programs for Management Techniques in Hunting and Fishing, Forest Technology, Nursing, Civil Engineering Technology, Special Education, Accounting and Management
Collège François-Xavier-Garneau was founded in 1967. It offers pre-university and technical programs that include the following.
- Academic Programs for Natural Sciences, Social Science and Art and Humanities
- Technical Programs in Health, Technical Human, Administration and IT and Applied Arts
Collège Shawinigan was established in 1968 as a community college in Shawinigan, Quebec,
Canada. It has an estimated 1,200 enrolled students in its academic and technical programs that include the following.
- Academic Programs for Natural Sciences, Humanities, Arts, Literature and Communication
- Technical Programs for Pre-hospital Emergency Care, Nursing, Laboratory Techniques, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Accounting and Management and Early Childhood Education
We have the expertise required to help you with your Canadian medical school application. Our team of consultants are up to date on the latest med school requirements and medical school interview questions.
Ace your MMI Interview!
Enroll with our MMI physician-led program and receive in-depth coaching sessions, mock interviews and more.
Packages start at $395