July 11, 2018
The Med-P (preparatory program) is open to immediate graduates of the Quebec Collegial System (CEGEP).
The Med-P combines a preparatory year with the Faculty of Science, followed by the M.D., four-year CM of the Faculty of Medicine program. The program includes courses in molecular biology, cell biology and metabolism, with a choice of 12 scientific courses and includes courses in the humanities and social sciences. In the first year of the Med-P program, students are enrolled in the Faculty of Science. In addition to completing the specific requirements for entry into the M.D., C.M. program, they must complete a number of elective courses chosen in order to expand and enrich their education. Med-P students must obtain a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 3.5 and no grade lower than B in the required courses in order to access the M.D., CM. program.
The number of medical school applications to the Med-P program far exceeds the number of places available. Unsuccessful applicants are generally well qualified to be admitted to other undergraduate programs (eg, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, etc.). As such, all applicants are invited to apply for admission to another program. This can be done by selecting a secondary program when using the online application system.
Med School Requirements for Med-P program
Applicants to the Med-P program must:
- Be recognized residents of Québec;
- From the onset of collegial studies(*1), be enrolled in only one of these following programs:
- Combined science program (200.11, 200.12, 200.13, 200.15, 200.16),
- Science + International Baccalaureate (200.10), or
- Arts & Science (700.A0).
- Be in the final year of collegial studies and obtain (by July 31 of the entering year) a Diploma of Collegial Studies (DEC) in one of the stated programs;
- Have undertaken a minimum of six courses (13.33 credits) in each regular semester (*2);
- Must have successfully completed and achieved the competency codes for the following courses:
- Biology: NYA (00UK), General Biology II (00XU);
- Chemistry: NYA (00UL), NYB (00UM), Organic Chemistry I (00XV);
- Mathematics: NYA (00UN), NYB (00UP);
- Physics: NYA (00UR), NYB (00US), NYC (00UT).
- EXCEPTION: Students in Sciences, Lettres et Arts (700.A0) program must obtain the Biology objectives of 01Y5 and 01YJ (along with all other program requirements) and should complement their program with Chemistry 01YH and at least one of Physics 01YF or 01YG in order for their application to be considered. Students who are missing any prerequisites based on the list above may be asked to complete them during the preparatory year.
- EXCEPTION: Students in the IB-DEC (200.10) program must complete (along with all other program requirements) a minimum of two courses (5.33 credits) in Biology, three courses (8.00 credits) in Chemistry, including Organic Chemistry, two courses (5.33 credits) in Mathematics and one course (2.67 credits) in Physics in order for their application to be considered. Preference is given to those who most closely adhere to the list of prerequisites above. Those admitted into the program who are missing any prerequisites will be asked to complete them during the preparatory year.
Medical School Application Help
For more information on these codes and their requirements, please contact your CEGEP academic advising office.
Quebec residents who are currently enrolled in a French “lycée”, French Baccalaureate, or International Baccalaureate program must have completed both years (the “première” and “terminale” year for French lycée and French Baccalaureate) in Québec in order to be eligible to apply to the Med-P program, and must have an R score, as well as a course attestation (provided by school).