January 25, 2020
Unlike the major trend amongst medical schools in North American towards the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI), the University of Ottawa has stayed true to the origins of the traditional standard panel medical school interview. Over the course of 30-40 minutes, a panel of 3 medical school admissions representatives have the opportunity to explore a pre-medical student’s open file through a series of targeted questions.
The aim of the interview is to establish whether there is a mutual fit between the goals and objectives of Ottawa medical school with the potential medical candidate. This is a unique opportunity for candidates to highlight their strengths while articulating their interest in pursuing medical studies at the University of Ottawa Medical School.
University of Ottawa Medical School Panel Interview
Preparing for the University of Ottawa Medical School Interview is unique, as it combined a balance of core medical school interview preparation content with communication skills. For many applicants learning medical ethics, Canadian healthcare and standard medical school panel questions is the initial first step. However, when preparing for University of Ottawa’s medical school interview, it becomes so much more than a superficial approach to the panel interview. At MedApplications our University of Ottawa medical doctors emphasize core character traits using the CANMEDS framework, in addition to years of experience as practicing clinicians in Ottawa. An approach to rural health, aboriginal health, public health, global issues, current events and ethical scenarios is key. Understanding what the University of Ottawa represents and their goal in the healthcare field is fundamental to succeeding in the panel medical interview.
How to Succeed In The University of Ottawa Panel Interview
There are a few key elements to succeeding in the University of Ottawa Medical School Interview:
- Be Yourself: Being true to your passions and interests will resonate well with your interview panel. Do not try and pretend to be someone you are not as it will raise red flags. Know where you came from and where you want to be.
- Be Prepared: Winging the medical school interview is not the ideal method to successfully attain an admissions offer. Practicing out loud with expert reviewers, such as our Medical Doctors with MedApplications, provides the necessary feedback and confidence to perform well on interview day.
- Be Polished: Your first impression is the most important as it sets the stage for the remaining 30-40 minutes if your interview. Be warm, friendly and approachable. Give interviewers a chance to get to know your personality and your major achievements.
- Be Knowledgeable: Gain a handle on where you are interviewing and why. On this day, your number one goal is the University of Ottawa Medical School.
Practice Questions for the University of Ottawa Panel Interview
Medical School Interview
- What distinguishes you from other candidates?
- Who is your role model and why?
- What has been your biggest influence in pursuing medicine and why?
- Why have you decided to pursue medicine at the University of Ottawa
- How would your friends describe you?
Ace your MMI Interview!
Prepare with leading MMI advisors in Canada and the United States for MD, Vet, Dentistry and more. Get matched to an advisor specializing in your specialty. High yield MMI cases, Mock Interviews, Live simulations. Prepare Today!
Programming starts at $395